Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation (AAWDC), in partnership with the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (DLLR), provides workshops on job search skills and basic computer skills, including:
- Orientation to Services: Kick Start Your Job Search – Learn more about in depth services offered through the Career Centers and eligibility requirements for those seeking Career Advisor assistance or training. Learn some quick tips on kick starting your job search, effective web tools, and pointers on networking, interviewing, and how to communicate your value to employers. Register for an orientation to our Career Centers at 410-424-3276.
Job Search Skills
- Employment Options (Tips for Older Job Seekers) – Experts say that the older worker is reliable, dependable and has a wealth of knowledge. Learn how to harness these marketable skills to excel in today’s job market.
- Interviewing Skills – A single session workshop where you learn how to prepare for different kinds of interviews, different stages and how to answer common and difficult interview questions.
- Two-part Interview Workshop:
- Interviewing for Success (Part 1) - Become comfortable with the interview process by learning the basic formats and functions of the interview, the “keys” to verbal and non-verbal communication, and frequently asked interview questions.
- Interview Live (Part 2) - Engage in role-playing scenarios, find out how to read your interviewer’s non-verbal cues, get tips for avoiding interview pitfalls, and develop strategies to confidently land your next job.
- Keeping Motivated in Tough Times – This two-part workshop will help you manage the impact of change, develop a personal marketing plan, manage the stress of the job search, and much more.
- Mapping Your Job Search: Your GPS for the Congested Job Market – Create a structured and focused job search plan to help you navigate through a confusing and competitive job market.
- Online Applications: How to Apply Online – Review common questions asked online, explore necessary electronic file preparation for online applications and tools that will increase your “hit rate” leading to successful interviews. Review useful job search websites and learn how to avoid common mistakes made during online applications.
- Résumé Writing – A single session workshop where you learn to target your résumé for specific jobs and how to distinguish yourself from the crowd.
- Two-Part Resume Workshop:
- Active Résumé (Part 1) - Create a résumé that gets results. Identify your personal job skills and choose the résumé format that best highlights your accomplishments.
- Résumé Clinic (Part 2) - An intensive follow-up course to Active Résumé. Learn how to further craft your résumé, and develop strategies for writing cover letters and a list of references. (Right click to download the associated documents listed below)
- LinkedIn – Using the Professional Networking Site to Increase Your Job Search Networking– Review an effective Bio/Profile for LinkedIn, learn how to build your network and discover the secrets to effective on-line networking.
- Computer Basics (Part 1 & 2) - Boost your job search by learning the basics. Discover standard computer operations, gain an introduction to Windows, and develop a basic document in a supportive environment that welcomes your questions.
- Computer Keyboard - Strengthen your word processing skills. Become familiar with the computer keyboard, learn correct finger placement and body posture, and build your keyboarding speed and accuracy.
- Intro to Internet - Find out how to surf the web for your next job and create your own email account. Learn tricks for your internet career search and locate valuable web resources.
- Intro to Excel (Part 1 & 2) - Learn the “lingo” of Excel and basics of this commonly-used spreadsheet application, as well as the many uses of Excel documents.
- Basic 2007 Word: Two day workshop that provides a basic foundation for creating documents, files and formatting styles.
- Benefits Planner - Receive assistance in how to balance work with disability benefits (SSI and/or SSDI) from the Social Security Administration. Meet one-on-one with a Community Work Incentive Coordinator and find out how work will affect your benefits, and how to use Work Incentives to become employed.
- Job Clubs – Offers a supportive forum to enhance your job search efforts by increasing your network, sharing job search experiences and accessing local employment resources. (No registration required.)
These workshops are scheduled less frequently throughout the year.
- FAST 101 – A presentation by government agencies and private companies to give an update on where the FAST jobs are, types of jobs available, and how to apply for them.
- Demystifying the Federal Employment Process – Learn how the federal hiring process works, how to use the variety of hiring systems to find jobs, how to make sense of “Federal Speak,” and how to read and understand Federal announcements.
- Federal Employment Assistance – Information on the Federal employment process and Federal resume preparation from Personnel Specialists at Fort Meade.
- Is Being an Entrepreneur for You? – Define Entrepreneurship, go over traits of a successful entrepreneur, as well as basic methods for going into business.
- Security Clearance 101 – Learn the process, the requirements and the reality of obtaining security clearances.
Most workshops are scheduled at least monthly at our full-service Career Centers. All workshops are free, but you MUST REGISTER in advance. Go to the Workshop Calendar for dates and locations of specific workshops.